Hi, my name is Richard, I use talk based therapy to help people get back in the flow and enjoy life more.
When we are together we will work as a team to expand your awareness, deepen your acceptance, and to create the circumstances for natural change to occur. Most clients experience emotional release and a corresponding increase in presence, effectiveness, and fulfilment.
I work from a dedicated therapy room in Bethnal Green, East London and remotely over Skype and the telephone. Sessions start from £80 for 1.5 hours and new clients get their first three sessions for the price of two.
For a free 15 minute consultation and to book an appointment call me now on 020 7377 1918.
To watch more videos click here >>
My personal philosophy and style has developed from a combination of extensive formal training, an enquiring mind, and an experimental approach. I have the following recognized qualifications, training and memberships:
- UKCP registered Psychotherapist
- Accredited member of the Neuro-Linguistic Psychotherapy and Counselling Association (NLPtCA)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Neuro-Linguistic Psychotherapy (NLPt)
- Double Certified Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming – Classical and Emergent NLP
- Hypnosis (Hypnotherapy) trained to Master level
- Time Line Therapy trained to Master level
- Specialist training in Metaphor Therapy / Clean Language
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Economics & Management from the University of Oxford
To read more about the approches I’m trained in click here >>
Why ‘Psychic Plumbing’?
Psychic plumbing is a potent metaphor for the networks of relationships that shape our lives. The pipes are the connections between us and others: us and our ancestors, friends, and lovers; us and ourselves; us and the world, us and life. The water in the pipes is the flow of ideas, emotion and energy exchanged between us. When our psychic plumbing is straight enough, wide enough and well connected our communications are direct and clear, our relationships are healthy, we have plenty of energy, and we are in the flow of life.
Unfortunately life experiences have damaged most people’s plumbing. We tie ourselves in knots by deciding things like ‘I’m not like my mum / dad’, ‘I don’t care’, ‘I’m not good enough’, ‘this can’t be happening’, etc. These mental and emotional blocks stop cause pressure to develop, the pressure causes stress, and stress leads to leaks. Rather than allow these leaks to flood our awareness and overwhelm us with emotion we plug them with improvised coping strategies. These can include distancing ourselves from our family, maintaining needy relationships, keeping ourselves busy, avoiding conflict, seeking approval, or becoming anxious, addicted, detached, depressed, ill, etc, etc. Today’s coping strategy becomes tomorrow’s problem.
Eventually we realise that it is time to call in a plumber and get things sorted out properly.
To read more about psychic plumbing click here >>
Your problems solved
I believe that emotional discomfort, difficulty in life, relationship discord and the symptoms of physical dis-ease are all signposts that can point us toward the blockages that are causing the problem. The approaches I use can be effective for all issues with a psychological component including:
- Generally high levels of ‘negative’ emotions such as anger, sadness, fear, guilt, grief, dread, anxiety, loneliness and jealousy
- Self limiting beliefs such as “I’m not good enough”, “I’m a failure”, “I’m bad”, “I can’t …”
- Reactions such as panic attacks, phobias, erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, fear of public speaking
- States of being such as depression, low self-esteem, lack of confidence, workplace stress, internal conflict and lack of direction
- Addictions (giving up cigarettes or drugs), compulsions such as OCD
- Food related issues such as overeating / weight loss, anorexia and bulimia
- Relationship issues in the family, at work or at home including sexual relationships
- Relationship with life events including bereavement, post-traumatic stress and recovery from physical and sexual abuse
- Some clients find therapy has the side-effect of helping alleviate ‘physical’ illnesses such as IBS, skin complaints, back problems, selective deafness and postural issues
Our time together
I work face to face with clients and offer remote sessions utilising Skype or the telephone.
I offer occasional low cost informal talks introducing the theory and practice of my work. These are suitable for experienced professionals, interested amateurs and people who are considering personal therapy. There is no obligation to ‘share’ and so this can be a great way of meeting me and getting a sense of how I work.
There are no talks in the diary right now. If you would like me to come and give a talk for your club or group then please drop me a line.
Psychotherapy for individuals
It’s all about you. The ultimate change experience as we explore your experience of being right now, the experiences that have shaped your life, and your your hopes for the future. Come with an open mind and each session will be a journey of discovery and transformation. To read more click here >>
Psychotherapy for couples
In couple therapy I will work with you to tease apart the unhealthy connections that bind you together and to face your individual fears. You will learn to express your emotions honestly and responsibly. As you become less needy you will find new joy in being together and working as a team. To read more click here >>
Mini group psychotherapy
Three clients and I meet together at the same time for a set number of weeks to explore a shared intention. The session is securely contained and structured into individual focus turns and group sharing. This style of therapy is more affordable than individual therapy and has the benefits of plenty of ‘you’ time and the opportunity to empathise with and learn from the experiences of others. To read more click here >>
Are you or your team experiencing issues that have a psychological component? Confidential business psychotherapy can identify and address the root causes of problems. Visit me in Bethnal Green or I can set up a temporary therapy room on your premises. To read more click here >>
Special introductory offer: three sessions for the price of two
For details of my fees click here >>
My space in East London
I practice from my home office in One Bartholomew Square, Bethnal Green, East London E1 5PH.
It is a 3 minute walk from Bethnal Green overground station (from Liverpool Street station), a 4 minute walk from Bethnal Green Underground station (Central line) and a 7 minute walk from Whitechapel underground station (District, Hammersmith & City and East London lines).
To see a map click here >>